Saturday, February 29, 2020

Read Across America Week

I love being a kindergarten teacher.  One of my favorite things is taking a break from the curriculum and doing an Author's study. March 2nd is Dr. Seuss's birthday and always lines up with Read Across America Day.  I love that this day is such a simple reminder of how important reading is.   During Read Across America Week I always pick a Dr. Seuss book for each day and then we do a dress up according to the book and do an activity to go with each book. This week I am reading the following books.


I change it up every year.  Last year I read the stories One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish and The Sleep Book.  When we read The Sleep Book we wear our pajamas and spend some time reading around the room.  

When we read One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish we wear red or blue to school and we do activities with fish.  One activity we do during math is make a goldfish counting book.  There are two options to this book.  You can either count and color the fish on each page or count and place a goldfish on each page on the book.








During Reading Centers I put out this sensory bin.  The students match the uppercase letter fish to the lowercase letter fish bowl.  You can place them in a sensory bin or have the students simply make matches. 

You can find these 2 products here in my TPT store.



No comments:

Post a Comment