Monday, January 27, 2020

Math Activities with Mini Erasers

I love the mini erasers from Target.  I often walk by the dollar spot, admire them, and walk away because I don't need anymore mini erasers and by the end of my trip to Target I have come back to the dollar spot because I have thought of a reason why I do need more mini erasers.  I recently discovered someone selling mini eraser packs on Ebay for $5.95 which I thought was crazy.  Then I had a crazier thought of buying them because they had the one set I couldn't find.  I thankfully had the self control to stop myself.  So if you are like me and have tons of mini erasers here are some math activities you can do with them.



1. Count
This is the simplest thing.  Have the kids practice counting.  At the beginning of the year after we have gone over numbers 1-10 I have the kids count out erasers for 1-10.  I give them a Ziploc bag marked 1 and the have to put one eraser in the bag.  Then they get a back that is labeled 2 and they have to collect two erasers, etc.  It's an easy way to assess that they understand that the last number counted tell the total number in the group and allows me to see if they can up up to 10 objects in a fun way.

2. Ten Frames
I find 10 frames can be so boring for my kids, but they stop being boring when they get to fill them with mini erasers.  They love that new ten frames and mini erasers are put out every month.  I use these as a center in my room.  You can find some ten frames here in my TPT store.


3. Sort

Another easy idea that doesn't involve prep is to have the kids sort them.  Give them 2, 3 or 4 sets of different erasers mixed together and let them sort them.

4. Patterns

Grab some sets of erasers and let them make AB, ABBA, ABC patterns etc.



5. Roll to 20, 50 or 100 Game

This is my classes favorite this year.  It is their go to game when we do math centers.  This game is a partner game though it can be played individually.  Each partner gets a board and a die.  They then take turns rolling the die and filling their board with the correct number of mini erasers.  First one to fill their board wins.  If you are short on time the player with the most erasers wins.  You can find Roll to 20, 50 & 100 Games here.



6. Adding

7. Add to 10
These fun math activity task cards are not only common core aligned but involve mini erasers and an expo markers, the two things that always make for a top choice activity in my room.
This activity is kid tested and teacher approved and is a great way for kids to practice finding how many more to ten by using mini erasers and then writing the equation or the answer.  You can find this snowman one and 11 other themes here at my TPT store.

8. Measure
Use mini erasers as a non standard form of measurement.

9. Graphing

Place some mini erasers in a bag and let the students graph and discover which eraser they had the most of.  You can find this free graph sheet here.



No comments:

Post a Comment