Tuesday, January 7, 2020

Adding to 10 with Dr. Seuss

My first unit of the new year is Addition and Subtraction.  I once saw a teacher that combined literacy and math with the reading aloud of a book to introduce a concept or to tie in with a lesson and I love it.  I now try to incorporate as many math picture books as I can during the year.  So for this day I used the story One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish by Dr. Seuss.


We then practiced adding to ten by coloring fish in a bowl.  We start off by coloring some red and the rest are colored blue.  We then created an addition sentence to go with it.  I love this activity because it includes reading, coloring, cutting, gluing and addition.  It also makes for some great art work in the classroom.


This craftivity is great for an addition unit or to go with Read Across America Week.  This example is for adding to ten but there is also an option to add how many fish you want into the bowl.

Be sure to check it out here in my TPT store.




No comments:

Post a Comment