Wednesday, January 22, 2020

An Easy Sight Word Center

One of my go to centers is this Roll a Word Center.  It is one of my kids favorite centers and they never get tired of it.  Every couple weeks I change the dice to add our newest sight words and put it back in our center bin.  The kids know what to do so I don't have to spend time explaining how to play.  I also love it because it also has a graphing component to it as well. 


The directions are simple.  The students roll the dice and color in a box above the word they rolled.  They keep rolling and graphing until one word gets all the way to the top. Whichever word reaches the top first is the winner and the center is over.  You may need to watch this center out of the corner of your eye.  (There is always one kid that rolls 3 or 4 times and then just colors their favorite word all the way to the top.)  The roll a word sheet was made in Microsoft Word.  I simply created a table and wrote in the sight words I wanted.   Once you have the template it is super easy to change out the words and reprint them with little prep.


I purchased write these dice with my scholastic book club points.  You can also find the dice at Dollar Tree (though they will barely last the year) or here on Amazon.  I recommend writing on them with permanent marker as the expo markers come off with all the rolling.  You can easily remove the permanent marker by drawing over it with an expo marker and then rubbing it off with a paper towel.  It will make the dice a little smudgy but it is worth it.

What sight word activities do you do in you classroom?

No comments:

Post a Comment